Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Hobbit—Has it Been Worth it?


                                My thoughts, hopes, and concerns for the final installment

 

*CONTAINS SPOILERS*

 

            Okay, so the Hobbit. Many are excited. Some are not. I’m not going to lie, I have enjoyed the last two movies (except for some major alterations *cough cough* Tauriel.) I watched the trailer when it came out in the end of July. I was so excited!

           

It was a well done trailer, and I had a feeling that Pippin’s song was going to get tossed into the mix somewhere. The song does really fits the story.

           

Anyway, now for my hopes. I think they could really do something respectable with this. Especially the battle. And deaths. Someone pointed out to me that it would be really good if Kili had to choose between defending Tauriel or Thorin/Fili and he chose the latter. But I’m not sure if Peter Jackson would consider that (because of the whole romance thing.) I really hope that the characters that are supposed to die actually die (My mom and her friend, however, have decided that they will save Thorin somehow--but I suspect that they only want to do this because he is played by Richard Armitage...) I would be kinda upset if that didn’t happen. Also if Thorin didn’t make up with Bilbo in the end. And if Rivendell in the end isn’t perfect. But I could go n and on about how I want things to be done exactly.

           

Now my concerns. Going back to the whole romance (can you tell I hate—sorry, dislike it?) I am afraid that there will be some mushy love/death scene for the two, somewhat reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet. Yes, he has to die, but I wish it would be with Fili at his side (as it should be) And like I said, I’m concerned that the very end in Rivendell will be cut out.

           

All in all, I think I want it to end with Bilbo writing the end of the story. Then there is a knock at the door. “No thank you! We don’t want any more visitors, well-wishers or distant relations!” Bilbo yells. “And what about very old friends?” Gandalf asks.

            The screen goes black.

 

            To answer my question, I know it’s been worth it for me. While the book will always be better, I have enjoyed seeing it on the big screen. But what about you? I’d love to hear about your opinions and expectations on the movies. Just leave a comment or email me!
----------------------------------------------
Watch the trailer here!

No comments:

Post a Comment